The village is in the Parish of Buckland Monachorum, one of five villages in the Parish that are either within The National Park or in the Tamar Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The unusual name of the village originates from ‘crop of stones’, altered in the Devonshire dialect to the present name. The village land was once part of the Buckland Abbey Estate until 1546. Buckland Abbey is now owned by the National Trust. The village has a shop and post office as well as a nursery school. There are primary schools in the larger village of Yelverton, one mile from Crapstone. Secondary education is provided at Tavistock College and independent education is available at Kelly College and Chelfham Senior School, all within 4 to 5 miles of the village. The town of Tavistock with its shops, supermarket, leisure centre and theatre is 5 miles from Crapstone, whilst the City of Plymouth is 9 miles away.